Friday, September 12, 2014

Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake (recipe too!)

Week 2, recipe 2 ~ Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake found on page 15

I have never made a real live, official, honest-to-goodness Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake before this!  (I've made lemon poppy seed muffins - both the good recipe from Mrs. Vrazo & the cheater recipe from Betty Crocker, but never a cake!)   It was good...I would make it again. =)

Notes:
~I have come to the conclusion that Maggie Mayhew did not (at least as a general rule) time the baking of her cakes very well.....as an example, look at this cake:  The recipe said to bake it "1 & 1/4 to 1 & 1/2" hours!  I set the timer early (52 min), and it was still over cooked and very brown (the apple cake was over done, too...)...I think that hereafter I shall have to set the timer for less time...or even less time....sigh! 
~Because the cake was brown, I served it upside-down. =)
~And because the cake was a little dry, I served it with melted Apricot Jam (leftover from the last cake) and a little spray of "tinned cream".   Happy thought indeed...the flavors went very nicely together!
~Speaking of flavors, the lemon in the cake is lovely- bright but not excessive. =)
 ~(Mom says that it would be better if twice as much glaze was made, and the cake was glazed on both sides)

 The Recipe:


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH, I want to try it RIGHT NOW!! =)
~Darleen

Anonymous said...

Mmm… looks good!

~Sarah H

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing! I loved the lemon & poppy seed muffins I'd made several years back and I'm sure I'd like the cake just as much! :)

-Lauren

Mamachildress said...

I love this cake! Ashley and I are trying this soon.

Anonymous said...

I used home ground pastry flour, fresh lemon juice and dehydrated lemon zest...with yellow straighneck squash instead...needed more lemon to it, couldn't taste it. I cut the sugar to 1 c., too. The recipe's method doesn't need to be so complicated, just mix up the wet very well and dry ingredients separately, and then fold the dry into the wet. It was good and buttery, but not lemon-flavored...we'll eat it anyway, of course.
~Aunt Julia

Anonymous said...

This lemon bread looks yummy Adrienne! ❤️

~Perla