Thursday, December 11, 2014

Iced Lemon and Ginger Cake (recipe too!)

Week 15, recipe 13 ~ Iced Lemon and Ginger Cake found on page 16 


3 Hales joined the 3 McKees for a game (Sequence) and cake evening...we had fun, served the cake with fresh, raw cow's milk (from P&E dairy).  The surprise in this cake, is that besides the powdered ginger, the recipe calls for minced crystallized ginger!

Notes:
~It needed salt. First I would use salted butter instead of unsalted, and maybe even up the salt to 2 pinches. 
~I baked it for only 50 minutes (because of the glass pan), and it was definitely underdone.   Next time I think that I'd try the 60 minutes that the recipe called for.
 ~I used a Pyrex glass dish 7 1/2 X 11 inches (2.2 quarts) and we cut it into 8 generous servings.
~While the recipe called for some Light Corn Syrup, in the future I would try Agave Syrup or Honey or some kind of blend of Agave/Honey/Vegetable Glycerin.



~FYI: for the frosting I used 3T. fresh squeezed lemon juice and 1&1/4cup powdered sugar....another time I would want to try and add a little butter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome.
-Peter

Anonymous said...

This looks good.....,I love you Adrienne! <3
~Perla