Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Devil's Food Cake with Chocolate Orange Frosting (Recipe for frosting, too!)

Week 26, recipe 23 ~ Devil's Food Cake with Chocolate Orange Frosting  found on page 100


This cake was nothing to write home about- not chocolatey at all, but the frosting- that was something else!  My first ganache~ I'm in love!

Maggie's Ganache (frosting) recipe:
 Ganache is so nice- it stays soft & moist- does not dry out, it's also VERY easy to make!
Ganache can also top cupcakes or donuts.  =)
Heat (to simmer, not boil):  3/4 cup heavy cream
Remove from heat.
Add chocolate and stir until melted: 7 oz bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli's 60% chocolate chips--I got mine at Wal-mart)
Then stir in: 2 teaspoons (or so) of grated orange peel- mine was SO moist it was wet & juicy!
Keep stirring until the frosting thickens- then you can let it sit a bit to cool & thicken.  
 (Martha Stewart's recipe & technique can be found HERE)

Notes:
~Recipe calls for an 8" cake pan...I would recommend using a 8" spring-form pan, or an extra deep 8" cake pan.  A regular pan was NOT deep enough!
~Be careful to not over bake- at 50 minutes, this cake was a little over  baked.
~Add salt! 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon I think.
~It's really not a chocolaty cake---I would wonder about substituting some cocoa powder for flour.

I love this picture!
The drawing will end at midnight on the 2nd of March, and the winner will  be announced on my birthday, the 5th of March!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious!
~Christine

Anonymous said...

That looks so yummy!!!
~Abigail

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks so delicious! I just made a Chocolate cake with an Oreo Cheese Cake middle and Ganache frosting. I made it for the youth dessert auction and it raised $56. I was so surprised. So fun to see what you will make next. Thank you for sharing all your creations. I don't want this blog to end. I love Pearls in the Kitchen!
~Aunt Juanita