Saturday, April 1, 2017

Classic Lemon Cream Pie (1960's)

Mmmm...what says "Happy Spring" better than a Lemon Cream Pie?  What about "Happy St. Patrick's Day!"?  It's the ultimate "pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow! 


To my knowledge, I've only had Lemon Meringue Pie once in my life, and did not care for it.  But I just knew that I'd like a Lemon Cream Pie- in fact, I was prepared to love it...and I did.  =)

 I wanted to make a really tasty pie, and preferably one from scratch, so I began to hunt through cookbooks that should have held the recipe that I was looking for...and turned up nothing.  That's right- nothing.  So I went to the computer, and the 2nd blog I clicked on was a winner!  (I did try to look around a bit more, but this was the only one I found.)  RECIPE HERE!!!

























Notes:
~Mom was very nice to cook up the filling for me! =)  Thanks, Mom!
~We used regular cream cheese, and next time will try upping it from 12 oz to 16 oz.
~I don't think that I'd put the lemon peel on top next time...or maybe just less.

~I made changes to the crust- I used one of Mom's pie crusts (recipe here), and Cooks Illustrated said to roll your regular crust in 1/2 Cup crushed Graham Crackers and pre-bake (lined with fork-pricked foil) for the best cream pie crust. So I did- it was a mess, but worth it!
Place oven rack lower than normal, bake 15 minutes at 400, remove foil, turn pan and bake another 8-10 minutes longer. (I wish I'd covered just the edges at that point.)


Thank you, Erin and Erin's Grandma-- we just love the pie, and you are right, I could NOT find another one like it, not even a cute copy of the original 1960's pamphlet, titled Philly Pies.


 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(I'll share this post on "Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson")

1 comment:

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh yum! I love coconut cream pie and I'm sure I would love this as well. Most definitely, because I am a lover of lemon! :) Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann